Thursday, March 29, 2012

THE VANDAL ?


Peter Strohmann & the Graffiti Vandalism Identity



Q: How does it feel to be a graffiti artist?

P: There are boundaries - it's ok.

Q: Tell us about your journey as a street artist.

P: I've been painting since 1984. I never called myself a street artist. There are changing terms. In Germany, I prefer to call myself a vandal. Here - I'm just an artist.

Q: What sort of content did you start with when you began with graffiti?

P: In the beginning I used to do straight graffiti writing - style graffiti.

Q: Do you document your work - are there any photographs on the internet?

P: NOOO - I hope there are none on the internet - I don't like the internet so much - especially the photographs. I don't document my work. It's a private thing I do - that other people can see.

Q: Have you ever waited to see people's reaction to your work?

P: In Europe it's too negative - I've not really seen people's reactions.

Q: Do graffiti artists have a sort of conversation through/about their art?

P: Quite a lot of graffiti writers do - for me I don't care. I have a very personal... not too many people care about sharing what I do - what WE do, if there is a we.

Q: Have you ever been caught?

P: I've been caught many times.

Q: What's the worst they can do to you?

P: Jail. I've been to jail two times.

Q: Now that the authorities know you as a graffiti artist - do they keep an eye on you?

P: No not really. They've got other problems - and graffiti's really not a problem.

Q: How do the other people in jail react to you?

P: They look at me and say "It can't be true. I'm a drug dealer - I'm a pimp - you're here for graffiti - can't be true.

Q: How long do they keep you in jail?

P: Twelve days.

Q: How much has your style changed?

P: Quite much.

Q: What sort of style did you have?

P: In Germany I do pure graffiti. I destroy - and I don't care. Just text - single line of text.

Q: What time do you paint?

P: At night - in the dead of the night.

Q: How has your approach changed over the years?

P: In the beginning - you're in the game. Have to do more, do better do bigger do faster than the others. Now I don't care about the others anymore. It's my own game.

Q: What other cities have you panted in?

P: All over the world.

Q: How is it different in India?

P: Over here is really different. People are friendly. It is easy to be a vandal in Germany, not everyone is friendly. Here - oh shit I can't destroy. People are friends.

Q: DO you prefer to be a vandal or an artist?

P: I prefer to be free.

Q: Are you free-er here?

P: No. Here I feel responsible. In Germany I don't care.

Q: How do you feel responsible?

P: I feel responsible understanding the people. Not being rude here - not an issue here. I don't want to be rude.

Q: Is getting caught by the authorities an issue for your art practice?

P: In Germany I don't care about being caught. I have good lawyers. I know I won't go to jail next time I'm caught. I'm far too old to bother with the police. If they catch me - it's ok. If they don't catch me - it's better.

Q: How is it different in other European countries ?

P: I know the restrictions in Sweden - the laws are pretty strict - I should be more rude than in Germany. Yeah, over here the difficulty is to adjust to society. If I go out and it's 10 degrees I have to wear a big jacket. Here I have to adjust to people. I want to be myself. I have to identify with things I want to do. For me - I don't want to be famous or rich - I want to be free. I don't have to prove anything to the art market. I'm on a high level with art - I'm free.

Q: How many hours a day do you spend painting?

P: Not too much anymore. I reduced it - I don't think too much anymore. I do it. I try to do it every other night.

Q: Have you come to India before?

P: This is my first time in India.

Q: And have you finished your painting?

P: Plenty of work to do - and I should continue.

Q: How did you choose this space?

P: We walked around. At first sight I was sure this was perfect for my masking tape. I don't want to bother myself about thinking about what to do. I can do squares anywhere - I like them very much - don't want want to think about colours - it looks very nice.

Q: Were you approached by passers by?

P: Not too many - just a few guys. They asked me what I was doing - I just said squares. They don't understand the idea of squares.

Q: How long have you been painting squares?

P: Two and a half years.

Q: Why do you use spray paints?

P: Spray paints are easier. The paint runs behind the masking tape.

Q: Also it's smoother?

P: Roller has the same effect - very flat paint. I prefer it sometimes. But this way is easier.

Q: Why squares?

P: Actually it is about squares. You know - people are squares - like in pulp fiction. People are squares but it's ok to be a colourful square. You might have the same address - but you don't need to be asshole straight. The visual side - I like it pretty much. In Germany it fits. People are assholes. Too straight. This is a point to discuss for hours.

Q: What about here?

P: Here they have lines - they're rather blurred. Look at the traffic - it works out somehow. In Germany it's - this is my lane. Don't come into my lane - or there will be an accident.

Q: How would you change your form here?

P: Here I'd fade the colours into each other.

Q: Have you made other pieces?

P: A little one a few days ago - it's not really finished.

Q: Did you blur that?

P: No - no - I'm, still a German. I don't like to consider myself a German, but I am. Over here in a way it's weird. Even bureaucracy is worse here than in Germany. I'd expect it would be fie. But you have to go through eight levels - you even have to ask the police for permission. In Germany I already know who to talk to. Here it takes a lot of time. You'll shave your beard - and grow it again - and then you'll get your decision.

Q: How do you choose your colours?

P: Colours are no choice - just a coincidence. Sometimes I think - oh this red and this blue together will give a nice contrast - but mostly - it's what colour next - oh this is good.

Q: Where is the paint from?

P: The whole story with the paint is a long story.

R: We tried customs and shipping - for two months then had to fly them.

Q: How many cans?

R: 700 cans of paint.

Q: Has anyone asked for the leftovers?

R: I doubt there will be anything left over.

Q: What do you think of abstract art and abstract panting?

P: I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment