Friday, March 30, 2012

A Conversation with Graffiti Artist Hendrik Biekirch


Q: When did you start and how is it going?

H: I made the first lines the day before yesterday. I'm doing the light and shadow now - the dark and light bits - tomorrow I will add highlights.

Q: How does it feel to work at this scale?

H: If it's a legal project - there is a difference from the stuff you do at night - you can't see beyond a certain height - scale. You can only do this at daytime. So I wnated to do something big.

Q: What do you think about this location?

H: The wall has a completely devastated rundown air - it has a lot of history.

Q: What do you feel about art meant for a  public space?

H: It's different from work in a white cube setup. People will look at your art from a short distance. In a public space passers by will see only large scale work. You have to use a different language. You have only a few seconds to convey your art to a passer by. 

Q: How has the experience changed over the years?

H: When I first started I immediately felt that this is what I want to do. After twenty years I still feel the same joy. Let's see what's more to come.

Q: Do you always work in black and white?

H: Nowadays I stick to black and white. Especially here when there's so much colour around. It pops out. Emotion and expression is better when you do not have colour - that attracts attention. 99% of my portraits are black and white - it's better for the overall pitch and expression. Greys help to define the three dimensional quality of the face.

Q: What kinds of paint do you use?

H: A mixture. The black and the ark grey is spray paint. The medum and the light is paint. 

Q: How does it feel in India?

H: This is really busy. The main streets in Germany are not crowded. The people here are fantastic. They help keep scooters away, bring me water. It can't get better.

Q: Who's face is it?

H: It's no one in particular. Lots of people say he looks like myself. I have to...
I wanted to make someone who's not getting the point - kind of an ignorant look. But you can only tell how it will look when it's finished.

Q: How do you translate the idea into large scale?

H: I first sketch the idea, then develop it from there. 

Q: Do you have an idea before you see the space?

H: No, this idea is for THS special point. 

Q: Do you use text?

H: Most of the time I add text. Right now I don't know what to write.

Q: What was your first piece like?

H: My first pieces - paintings - were New York influenced writing.

Q: How did you get into graffiti art?

H: Usual story - as a teenager I used words to express myself. 

Q: Where did the shift come for you?

H: In terms of approach, I wouldn't say it changed so much over the last 20 years. It's still about the laughter, the soul you put into it. The circumstances have changed - my approach is the same.

Q: How much do graffiti artists communicate with each other?

H: Even before internet and cellphones - art movements worldwide - were well connected. People would travel, stay in contact, send pictures by snail mail. Nowadays the internet and email has made it faster.

Q: How many countries have you painted in?

H: I've been to a few, I would say.

Q: Are there differences, country to country?

H: Yes - but mainly it's because of streets - street life is street life. Streets are the same. The interesting part of traveling is taking inspiration from the spot you're painting in. Taking the surfaces as big as they come.

Q: How did you start off?

H: I started spray painting in '89. I used to do drawings as a kid. That's some thing that's always been with me. 

Q: What would be your advice for someone who wants to start?

H: Just go for it!

Q: WHat sort of relationship do you have with the art world - with galleries?

H: I do have a gallery in the States - they sell my art there. There are also a few in Europe. 

Q: So you're going to Korea after this?

H: Yes, my last big project was in New York, then in St. Petersburg - now India. 

Q: Do you do any other kind of art?

H: Canvas work I do - sketches from a person - then transfer to canvas.

Q: How do you make your art fit the space?

H: In a public space, I have to fit the face to the given space. The space is a square setup - so the face is kind of square. I wanted to keep the background as it is. If it's a new wall I paint it a dark colour, but because it's got so many stories to tell - I left it untouched. So the painting is more like a sticker.

Q: How much more time will you spend on it?

H: There's still quite a lot of work left. I'm here for two more weeks. I also want to paint a bus, so I will try to finish this as fast as I can. 

Q: Have you tried any other form of art?

H: I have done some sculpturing, but would consider myself - painting is my main sphere.

Q: Was getting permission for this wall difficult?

H: I actually wanted to paint another wall - a big wall in the next street - it's twice this high. But I didn't get permission. So we do get "NO"s as well.

Q: Has it become easier over the years?

H: I think it's kind of easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment